Monday, December 21, 2009
Nevertheless it's not true that all credit repair companies are scammers. There are lots of reputable companies out there prepared to make their best effort to repair your credit score and credit report. But that leaves one with the problem of how to identify the reputable companies and how to stay safe from the traps the fraudulent credit repair business agents lay for you.
In spite of commonly held belief, recognizing a less-than-reputable credit repair business is simple. The first warning sign is when any such company purports to fix your credit score overnight
Because your credit history was formed over the span of many years, it's unrealistic to expect to fix your credit in a matter of a few weeks. If you hear a credit repair business tells you they can perform what you know is not possible, you need to back off, as they are definitely not a trustworthy company!
There are other simple telltale signs that will point out a fraudulent company in no time. The dishonest agency, in most cases, will require full payment upfront.
It is illegal for a credit repair company to charge the fees before rendering any services. No matter how desperate you are to have your credit fixed, do not pay their fees in full upfront.
A scam credit repair business will not hesitate to go outside the law to fix someone's credit. They will even counsel you to use illegal methods and tell you it's all right to do so, as they know an "insider" who works for the credit bureaus who can cover up for them and you.
Never fall prey to lies of this nature! Don't ever accept any type of intervention to improve you credit score unless it's 100 percent legal. Regardless of how desperate your problems are, they will be made even worse if you're caught using illegal means to relieve them.
You are primarily responsible when your credit report is repaired through illegal means; thus you could end up being prosecuted if caught using illegal means. In the end, it's just not worth the trouble!
An additional way to discover whether or not the credit repair business you chose is "for real", is to ask that they guide you in learning about repairing credit. A reputable agency will gladly give you guidance and advice (and possibly some "hand holding") in your endeavor to become more knowledgeable in regard to how to fix credit.
A trustworthy business will take the role of a facilitator, while a dishonest agency will be resentful and wary about sharing information in regard to repairing your credit.
Thursday, November 19, 2009
If bad credit is a problem you can choose to either -
(1) fix your own credit, or
(2) seek the services of a credit company.
1. Take the self-help approach - when you make this choice, you must become knowledgeable regarding issues related to credit repair. Even though there's a wealth of information on the Internet as far as repairing your own credit, it is not a simple task. Many of those who attempt it find it overwhelming and come to the conclusion that the affordable fees that the average credit repair professional charges for their services is worth the cost. Nevertheless for those who choose the go-it-alone approach there's a tool to streamline the process - credit repair software. The software can automate many issues, such as credit score simulation (as a learning tool), generation of dispute letters, tracking, debt settlement negotiation etc..
2. Hire a credit repair company - when and if you feel that you do not have the time to learn all that it takes to do it yourself, you can get help from a credit repair agency. These, at reasonable cost, will take over the work of fixing your bad credit. These kinds of companies have and use credit repair software in order to enhance their efficiency.
Is there a difference in the usage of the credit repair software in the above two instances? When a person uses the software, he or she will depend heavily on the automation process minus a valid understanding of what the process is. For this reason a lack of knowledge and understanding renders the credit repair software less useful than it might be in the hands of a professional.
But when an agency uses the credit repair software they are knowledgeable in regard to why it's designed the way it is and what needs to be customized for best results. This is the reason why credit repair software in the hands of an experienced company works better than with non-professionals. The professionals utilize it to boost their efficiency - more as a tool; while the average person uses it without a clear understanding of the process.
Therefore, one might reasonably conclude that a better question would be not "is using credit repair software a good choice"; the better question is how best to use the software. Whether at the individual or agency level, maximum benefits when using this software are only achievable if you have a firm knowledge of credit repair. If you have a firm grasp of the credit repair process and use this software as a tool to improve your efficiency, the software gives you an awesome advantage; otherwise its usefulness is very limited.
The credit repair industry is a business where customization is very central - and therefore, without knowing the basics of credit repair in applying the software, the results may be less than optimum.
Monday, November 9, 2009
Are you wondering why this is? Well, let me explain.
If you're number one issue is getting your credit fixed as quickly as possible, you are inviting scam credit repair services that use this "fast credit repair" idea to lure unsuspecting victims. Heed these important tips so you can select best credit repair services, and steer clear of scam credit repair services.
Tip No 1 - trustworthy repair agencies never advocate quick-fix methods to help your credit report or score. The fact is, a trustworthy credit repair company will make you fully aware of what credit repair services you should expect from them.
These services will be spelled out in a contract. Always insist on a contract; and if a contract is not forthcoming, it's a dead giveaway that the agency and the credit repair services they offer are fraudulent.
Tip No 2 - All legitimate credit repair companies will make you aware of your rights and help guide you in respect to the credit repair services that you can (and should) do for free. Things such as how to get your free annual credit reports, finding the mistakes in your report, how to dispute those mistakes, sound financial management and the like, are those things you can take care of for yourself.
The company will teach you what you can do yourself with little effort, and what requires the expertise of professionals. The worth of the services they offer you can be judged based on this first interaction.
Tip No 3 - No aboveboard credit repair company will ever hint at using illegal means. There a lot of companies that advertise a "second or new" identity, complete and guaranteed removal of bad entries, increase of a poor credit score overnight and so on.
Don't even consider believing such promises until you have visited the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) website and read what it says about repairing your credit score and report. You will be made aware that the credit repair services promised by these types of companies are fraudulent are even worse, illegal.
Tip No 4 - All reputable credit repair businesses offer, among their services, free and quality counseling. As discussed earlier, a legitimate credit repair service is always prepared to help you become financially self-sufficient.
They will be ready to offer you the best of credit repair services and simultaneously teach you what you are able to do yourself. If you find that the agency discourages you from learning about credit repair, contacting a credit bureau, and/or discourage you from taking any action on your own, then they are clearly fraudulent.
Tip no 5 - I am leaving the best tip for last, because this is what will remain in your mind long after you finish reading. Check out whatever membership organizations to which the company belongs.
For instance, many trustworthy credit repair companies are members of the ECRA (Ethical Credit Repair Alliance), which ensures that you - the customer - get the best possible credit repair services. Make certain your company of choice is a member of a reputable regulatory agency.
Friday, November 6, 2009
1. Check to see that the company is a member of the Ethical Credit Repair Alliance (ECRA) or another reputable regulatory body. You You are often advised to hire companies that are subscribed to the BBB (Better Business Bureau) when you are looking for any type of service. However, in the case of credit repair companies, those companies that are members of the ECRA are some of the best.
This organization requires that its members agree to a stringent code of professional ethics and any business that gets their approval will do their work in the client's best interest. All credit repair companies who are members of this organization must maintain high standards of ethics in their business practices. This means protection for you, the consumer, from any type of unethical and sub-standard practices.
2. Learn a bit about what credit repair is before looking for assistance. Most people who are cheated out of their hard earned money when hiring help with their credit, do not know anything about what repair of credit involves. You should be knowledgeable about what what credit repair services can do for you and what they can't do.
Only if you know the difference, can you identify which organizations are reputable. For instance, no one can remove negative remarks entered on your credit report if these can be verified. There are those credit repair companies claiming they can completely clean your credit report in as little as a month. Think this over carefully for a moment; is this even possible to do legally? If you answer "No" are you sure you want to engage in methods that are illegal?
3. Avoid unsolicited offers you receive through email. At a time when you find yourself in financial desperation, don't think for a moment that it's good fortune that sent you such an e-mail. These e-mails are sent by scammers who use shady methods to get your e-mail address, and send out e-mails by the millions trying to fool some needy soul whom they can "take for a ride"!
Don't be taken in by such tricks. These are usually always these are unscrupulous thieves hoping to prey on the unwary. Reputable credit repair professionals will make their offers by e-mail or US mail only after you have asked to receive them.
4. Creating a "new identity" is illegal. This fallacy is believed by many people, mainly because it would seem to solve all their problems. This idea is so widely accepted due to a general ignorance regarding credit repair. This is called"File segregation." Avoid it like the plague - it's illegal! A credit score is an aggregate of the history of your financial behavior from the day you became an adult until the present. So acquiring a "new" history is an impossibility? And if you do so, does it seem to you like this would be legal? So it's glaringly obvious that the credit repair companies that offer you such a way out of your problems are fraudulent.
5. If an agency wants full payment prior to rendering any services, look out! Under Federal Law the company provide you a written contract upfront and that they cannot charge you a fee prior to completion of the services offered. In addition you have three days to cancel the contract if you so choose.
A credit repair business can ask for an upfront charge for initial services, such as a credit report analysis, and then charge a fee every month as follow-up with the credit bureaus is continued on an ongoing basis. But if a company demands their entire fee be paid in advance, they are likely doing so because they realize no payment will be forthcoming when you realize that their claims have been overstated. These kind of businesses are ripoffs and you must not deal with them!
6. Repairing your credit score and credit report takes time. As stated previously, no honest agency can solve your credit problems in the blink of an eye or change your credit history entered on the credit report if it can be verified.
In a best case scenario, less serious issues can be fixed within two or three months, by disputing information that is incorrect, and by improvement in your financial habits. More serious issues such as foreclosures and repossessions will remain on your report for seven years, even given exemplary management of your finances. Bankruptcies cannot be removed for ten years. Any company that guarantees quick removal of such items is not to be trusted.
7. No contract? Forget it! Many people will be saved from the pain of being defrauded if they insisted on a written contract; this is your legal right.
Scammers are leery of presenting a contract, and if a contreact is given, important information will be missing in regard to the services, what the fees are, and the like. You will better understand these organizations by the contract they offer you. If they do not offer a contract for any reason whatsoever, go find someone else.
8. If anything is guaranteed, beware! Not even the best and most experienced agencies can guarantee the results of their services. They may reasonably promise that all legal procedures will be used to improve your credit. However, in the credit repair business there can never be any hard core guarantees in regard to results.
However, the unfortunate reality is, most people are more inclined to believe - and to hire - an agency that tells them what they prefer to hear, instead of hiring an agency that is truthful. Avoid falling prey to this trap! Even though promises of results are more appealing, credit repair companies that offer guaranteed results are fraudulent.
9. See if there are counseling services. Many good credit repair companies offer counseling services at no charge.
If the agency you are looking at does not, look a bit further. It may be a less than trustworthy company. Reputable companies will educate their clients about repairing credit. The company performs those services that are for those matters that require professional expertise to improve one's credit.
10. Bad advice? Beware! Some organizations will dispute all negative trade lines on your credit report claiming "this is not my account.." Even though in the short term the credit score may improve, the creditors whose trade lines were disputed may later counter it, and it will later be verified by the credit bureaus.
Given the shabby record keeping on the part of the credit bureaus, it's extremely likely that there are inaccuracies on your credit report. But credit repair companies that advise you to claim "this is not my account" if it in fact is yours, cannot be trusted.
As you can see, there is no shortage of red flags to warn against possible fraud. Before anything else, before you hire credit repair companies is to be informed in regard to credit repair, and terms like "credit score" and "credit report". You also need to know the minimum applicable laws before you go for any type of credit repair help. For starters visit the web sites of the FTC Bureau of Consumer Protection and the Ethical Credit Repair Alliance.
Sunday, October 11, 2009
1. The charges - dishonest agencies will demand their fees prior to delivering any services. And why is this? Because they know they can't do what they claim they can do they know they won't get paid when you find out. A reputable credit repair company will charge the fees in a way that charges for initial services and additional payments each month as they continue to work on your credit.
The charges must be proportionate to the services. Do some "homework" regarding what fees are common to give you an idea of what is customary.
2. Getting your credit report corrected - competent credit repair services will contact the three major credit bureaus, until everything on your credit report is correct. In order to bring this about it will repeatedly follow-up with the credit bureaus until the task is completed.
3. Provide financial education - you will only be hiring the company temporarily. This is a good reason to learn all you can about being self sufficient financially. Good credit repair services will help you to become financially savvy.
The company will help you along until such time as you can, on your own, regularly obtain and analyze your credit report, how to go about correcting erroneous accounts, and most importantly provide you counseling so you will learn how to best manage your finances so you can remain credit worthy.
4. Individual customization - a lot of agencies will utilize credit repair software in providing your services. But more is needed. Everyone's situation is unique, and the "cookie-cutter" approach of a computerized service alone will not do the job. The best credit repair services will demand that the service be tailor-made to your needs, in spite of the usefulness of modern state-of-the-art software.
5. Always stay within the law - the trustworthy credit repair company will invariably stay within the law. If you suspect that a credit repair agency is doing otherwise, run the other way!
Although you're very eager to have your credit improve, or get your credit history modified to leave out things like debt collections and bankruptcy - it's important to know this cannot always be accomplished in every case. Credit repair firms that make too-good-to-the-true claims, might be using less than reputable tactics, and if you go along with them, you become an accomplice. You definitely don't want to go this route.
The best credit repair services will likely provide additional services as well as those we've enumerated, but be sure to look for these at minimum. In choosing a reputable agency never discount the value of personal recommendation.
Another good option is to ask the company for references. In addition, check with the "watchdog" of credit repair companies, the Ethical Credit Repair Alliance. Do not be afraid to ask for clarifications until you are satisfied that you are getting the best!
1. Years of experience - credit repair companies are experienced in dealing with the three major credit bureaus. They will have handled various cases and learned many tricks along the way. They know the best and fastest way to achieve results.
We've all heard it said, "Given the know-how you can accomplish anything." Credit repair companies already have that knowledge, and will use it to your benefit.
2. Saving time - a great deal of time is involved to have the credit bureaus fix the mistakes in your credit report. Credit dispute letters must be correctly worded and followed up on repeatedly until your credit report is free of mistakes. Trustworthy credit repair professionals know what has to be done, and will work hard for you, until all the mistakes in your credit report have been deleted. Getting help from a credit repair company is a good choice, if you want to save yourself some time and frustration.
3. Gets you on the correct road - self learning is a great thing, and the Internet has made it easier than ever before. However, teachers are still a basic requirement. Having a good teacher can mean the difference in success or failure. Most trustworthy credit repair companies will not only improve your credit standing, but will teach you financial self sufficiency. The best credit repair companies will even provide you free counseling.
4. Continued monitoring - a good credit repair company will continue to monitor your credit report. Credit improvement is only the beginning. Once your credit report is repaired and brought to the optimal level, it must be watched closely, especially for the possibility of identity theft. Close monitoring is critical so that mistakes can be found and dealt with in a timely manner. It will provide you a good look at how well how or how poorly the credit bureaus are keeping records of your credit habits.
5. Saves you money - trial and error can be a good thing sometimes, but not always. Improving your credit score using the trial and error method could very well cost you more than you thought regarding high interest payments, unfavorable loan terms, and time spent. Reputable and experienced credit repair companies will be able to save you a lot of money because you're improved credit will mean lower interest rates. Their experience will enable them to get quicker results with less expense
As you can see there are lots of advantages to hiring the services of a good credit repair company. Needless to say it's important to take all factors into account before you decide whether to go this route or not. In the end hiring a credit repair company is simply a personal choice.
Friday, August 21, 2009
It's likely you've heard about those who have sought out credit repair organizations for help to improve their credit report, but to have instead been taken in by bad credit repair scams. In order to understand what pathway to take to protect yourself against these scammers, you must know how they function.
They're betting that those who find themselves up to their neck in debt will be desperate enough to grasp at whatever is told them, in the hope that these fake agencies really can deliver on their promises, so they can regained their serenity. They are often so disheartened by the system, which is downright cruel to those who have problem credit, that they'll do anything to resolve their problems.
Most those seeking help on the verge of declaring bankruptcy. It is these who are most likely to fall prey to credit repair scams.
And why is this? Because they want fast results, and are unaware that raising their credit rating can take up to 12 months. Very often, they feel like time is running out on them, and unless they take fast action, it will spell future disaster.
Ironically, when they sign up with these scam artists instead of improving their financial situation, they will find themselves in even worse financial straits, because they've been deluded into chasing a mirage.
Here are the warning signs that alerts you to credit repair scams:
1. They promise the impossible
These less than honest companies promise they will have all the negative remarks removed from your credit report. They will guarantee you that your credit score will improve within the next 2-3 months.
They attempt to do this by disputing every negative trade line in your credit report. The bureaus may initially remove some or most of the disputed items which they are unable to verify within the required 30 days. In the meantime, it will seem that this fraudulent agency has delivered on its promise.
But if the credit bureau is later able to verify the negative items, they'll end up back on the report - plus you will have earned a bad reputation - that of a scammer!
2. They tempt you to bend the rules
They actually break the law with their tactics, such as using other people's identity to increase your overall credit, by offering to give you a new SSN, so that you can "start from scratch." Look out! Such tactics can land you in a lot of trouble. Not only is it illegal to take up a "new" SSN, the number could have a police record attached to it, or any such things that will be much worse than bad credit.
3. They ask for full payment up front
Most of the credit repair scams are characterized by the fact that they ask for payment in full up front. This is understandable, because they realize that you will eventually find out that they cannot really remove bad credit or improve your credit score as they had promised. And at that point, you won't pay them.
In conclusion, credit repair scams are avoidable. Just don't forget that no matter how desperate your situation, look closely for the warning signs!
And one more thing: Get your hands on a copy of "The Danger Signs to look for in a Credit Repair company" CLick here and fight credit repair scams!
Saturday, August 15, 2009
A credit repair company by definition is an organization that helps to boost your credit report by various methods such as checking the accuracy of your report with the credit reporting agencies, taking action in regard to any credit report dispute as it arises, fixing your credit report in the wake of bad debts and so on. In other words, this is an organization that helps you improve your financial situation.
Just what does credit repair company do to improve your finances?
A lot of people argue for the "do-it-yourself" credit report repair method rather than hiring the services of a credit repair company. Is that better? It's your choice.
Here is what a credit specialist should offer you:
- checking each trade line in your credit reports for accuracy: they should do this with the report from each of the major credit bureaus (Experian, Equifax, and TransUnion).
- initiation of a credit report dispute when inaccuracies are discovered; following it up until all mistakes are deleted from the credit report
- advising you on what are the best methods to adopt so as to improve your credit report as quickly as feasible
- counseling you on how to best manage your finances, so you will not fall into debt traps again.
- facilitating avenues that will enable you to earn your livelihood again
- keep a close eye on the credit report maintained by each major credit Bureau, to prevent any errors that could damage your credit report
- teach you how to maintain a good credit-to-income ratio that will reflect well on your credit report
What You Should Not Expect from a Credit Repair Specialist.
There are many people who expect near miracles from a credit repair specialist. Here are some things you should not expect from a trustworthy credit repair agency:
- settle any credit report dispute in a very short time - it takes at least 60 days
- repair credit history overnight - it requires at least of 6 months
- wipe off bad debts - it takes at least 6 months
- change facts entered in your credit report - it will remove only those itmes that are being reported inaccurately
- erase a history of bankruptcy - it can only help you improve your credit score, since a bankruptcy stays on your record for a minimum 7 years
- improve your credit report by tomorrow - credit repair is a gradual process that requires at least 3-6 months
3 Warning Signs That Point to an Untrustworthy Credit Repair Company
It is true that there are a lot of fly-by-night organizations out there who thrive on the gullibility and helplessness of desperate people, just to make a fast buck.
Here are three red flags help you avoid credit repair scams:
- it demands complete payment up front
- it promises you immediate results
- it uses illegal means to improving your credit worthiness
Avoid any such credit repair company like you would the plague! Remember, a bad debt or even bankruptcy is not the end of the world. But using illegitimate tactics to fix poor credit will backfire on you.
Never be tempted into accepting such "help" because these organizations are not trustworthy and will lead you into an even more desperate situation than you're in already.
Monday, August 3, 2009
You hear so much about credit repair companies that if you're having credit problems you are very tempted to seek their help to improve your credit report. However, making a good choice may not be so easy, because you will find that evaluating such companies in not such an easy task! Because they are service oriented, there's no physical product to evaluate, and the trial-and-error method is ... well, completely out of the question!
Here are three points that you must consider before making a decision. These indicators will also keep you safe from being ripped off by less than reputable credit repair companies whose goal is to relieve you of your money, not your problems.
1. Honest Credit Repair Companies Are Affiliated With Organizations
Just as any legitimate business, a professional credit repair agency will affiliate itself with reputable organizations such as the BBB (Better Business Bureau) or the ECRA (Ethical Credit Repair Alliance). The affiliation would have these companies abide by certain business codes, that provides protection to you the consumer.
Determine to which organizations the company you are considering belongs to. What are they? Do not stop at finding out what affiliations they have - research a bit further and check whether these regulatory bodies are indeed what they claim to be. Research on the Net and get the complete picture.
2. Reputable Credit Repair Companies Have Many Satisfied Customers
It's always expected that a good local credit repair agency would have a fair amount of verbal positive feedback from local people. This is an excellent sign that this company delivers on its promises. However, do not trust them with improving your credit report just on the basis of hearsay.
Ask them to give you the the name of some satisfied customers who they worked with satisfactorily and then follow up with a visit. Most people will be happy to discuss their experience with the company. Ask them about their level of satisfaction, and whether they would recommend the company.
3. Above-Board Credit Repair Companies Do Not Sell You Shortcuts
There are no shortcuts in the credit repair business. Your credit score is not going to improve overnight, nor can you make your bad credit disappear.
Be wary about credit repair companies that promise an overnight makeover. It is likely that they are lying or that they are using illegal means. Don't be misled because this could end very ugly for you. Stick to legitimate methods to improve your credit rating and in the end you will be the winner.
As you can see, it is not too hard to choose the right one from among the many credit repair companies. Just remember that it's better to be cautious, than to act rashly and then regret it later.
Tuesday, July 14, 2009
There is the idea shared by the public in the USA is that credit repair companies are comparable to vultures. They are happy about the misfortunes of others, since they will earn handsomely when a person is faced with unmanageable debts.
Fortunately, this is a myth. These agencies are rather offering a priceless service to a population that is in dire financial straits. Most people never think or believe they are in serious financial trouble until they are turned down by a creditor due to bad credit score or a below par credit report.
Self Help as an Alternative
Yes, it is true that you could repair bad credit by your own means. It's also true that you can learn all there is to know about credit repair and it,s possible to use it to maintain your credit report.
But at the same time, you need to understand and accept that correcting one's credit score demands huge efforts in close follow up and focused correspondence with all concerned parties. The credit repair companies play a vital role here in taking on all these troubles to save you the headaches involved.
You can compare this service with driving or cooking. It is not whether or not you can drive or cook; but when you hire a person to do these jobs for you, you leave the hard part to the one you hire.
The credit repair companies are the best you can have and therefore can ensure that you are back on your feet much faster and easier than if you had done it yourself. Who do you think will produce better results - a novice who is learning, or a specialized agency who hires and works with highly qualified and experienced personnel in every matter that is connected with credit and finance? These agencies not only help straighten out debts, but also provide a help line to you so you will never see bad days again.
An invaluable service credit repair companies offer is debt management counseling. You could work things out with the creditors and even the credit bureaus; you could reverse a bad credit report and increase your over score. However, without proper guidance on correct financial management, you will never be totally out of the woods regarding your finances. These habits will be like hidden traps for you, ready to create trouble when you least expect it.
Yes, you need credit repair companies!
It's therefore easy to understand the popularity of this business and reason why it is flourishing in spite of the continuous negative feedback this segment receives. They do deliver a very vital service without which, the percentage of bankruptcies and bad credit would have multiplied unchecked. It is thanks to these credit repair companies that people today understand the importance of watching their money, financial counseling and legal credit report repair.
Friday, May 29, 2009
Friday, May 8, 2009
Credit Repair Companies - Can You Trust Them?
Credit Repair Companies, in general, have gotten a "bad rap" and for good reason! A lot of scammers have posed as credit repair experts, promising to help relieve their clients of their problem credit. But at the end of the day, all they have "relieved" them of is their savings!
But not all credit repair professionals are crooks! There are a great many ethical credit repair companies that provide a valuable and much needed service to the consumer.
Poor credit can dig deep into your pockets and drain away your hard-earned money on appallingly high interest rates. At the same time, credit repair is a long drawn out process, which requires close follow-up and often specialized and customized appeals to delete inaccurate negative data from your credit report.
You are undoubtedly aware that there are a great many credit repair companies and credit repair lawyers ready to offer their services, but you're unsure of which one to choose. You may have heard too many stories of people being ripped off, and for that reason, you are undecided.
Here are five factors that you should consider:
1. Professionalism - is the company you are considering professional? Check out their web site carefully and see whether you are comfortable with what you find there.
- Is the website easily easy to navigate?
- Does it have a page with FAQs that can help guide you?
- Do they have a live chat or fast-response email service to address your questions?
- Is there counseling offered free by the companies?
- Does it make extraordinary claims? (Beware!)
Check carefully every aspect, and trust both your logic and your gut feelings.
2. Ethical - it is very important that the credit repair companies you choose behaves ethically. Do not be taken in by agencies that claim they can remove all your negative accounts, whether they are being accurately reported or not. You should expect to remove only those accounts that are erroneous.
Do not be persuaded to use illegal means to increase your score. You might be inviting more trouble than you could handle. Search the Web for reviews or feedback on the credit repair companies you're considering. Be on the lookout for any negative reports. Check whether the agency is listed with any reputed organizations such as the ECRA (Ethical Credit Repair Alliance) or the BBB (Better Business Bureau) which will require that they adhere to strict codes of conduct.
3. 24/7 monitoring - credit repair goes beyond just "credit repair." It means education, counseling, awareness, and monitoring among other things. Regular monitoring and immediate intervention when negative remarks find their way into your credit report are far more effective in maintaining a good credit score that just repairing it. Are the credit repair companies offering you more? Do they offer these additional services on their menu?
4. Reasonable - it is true that credit repair companies are in business to generate revenue. However, this should not be at the cost of their clients. The best business relationships, ones that survives time and changes in technology, are often associated with the offer of value-for-money by companies. You must feel happy about the price and services offered. Research these aspects well enough to be empowered to negotiate the best rate. Do not be afraid to negotiate.
5. Offer solutions - you need solutions. The best credit repair companies are those that strive to draw you out and learn about your problems in detail, so that they can design a customized solution for your personal situation. This is especially important since no two financial problems will be identical, and what works fine for one person may not be the best solution for another. Look for a credit repair agency whose goal is offering solutions - solutions that are "tailor made" for YOU!